1. To create a discussion topic, access the discussions tool by clicking Tools on the Course Home navigation bar. Then select Discussions.
2. Click New, and select New Topic from the drop-down menu.
3. Select a forum. If you have already created the forum in which you want to add a topic, select a forum from the forum drop-down menu. If you want to create a new forum for your topic, click New Forum.
4. Enter a Title and Description. The following settings can be applied:
- Allow anonymous posts - Select this option if you want to enable users to post anonymously.
- A moderator must approve individual posts before they display in the topic - Select this option to ensure that posts are approved by a moderator before they display in the topic.
- Users must start a thread before they read and reply to other threads - Select this option to ensure user participation.
- Display forum description in topics - Select this option to display a discussion forum description within a discussion topic description.
- Rate Posts - Select a rating scheme:
- No Ratings - All rating controls are disabled.
- Five-Star Rating Scheme - Students can assign each post a score from 0-5.
- Up Vote/Down Vote Rating Scheme - Students can vote to increase or decrease a post's rating.
- Up Vote Only Rating Scheme - Students can vote to increase a post's rating, but they cannot vote to decrease it.
- Availability - Select visibility options for your forum.
- Locking Options - Select locking options to prevent users from accessing the forum until it is unlocked.
5. Click Save and Close.