What is eLC?
eLearning Commons (eLC) is the online learning management system for the University of Georgia. It is also sometimes referred to as D2L (the company responsible for eLC) or Brightspace (what D2L calls their product). You may think of eLC as a vast repository where you can store and track information related to coursework. Anyone with a valid UGA myID login and password can access eLC and engage in specific courses using a computer or mobile device.
Why use eLC?
eLC provides a FERPA-protected platform for UGA (Athena) courses to house classroom content and activities in a shared digital learning space. For example, you can use eLC to share and store documents, execute quizzes, engage students in online discussions, provide video, audio, and other resources, deliver course announcements, and so on. It is highly customizable and provides instructors the ability to personalize course content and experience.
The following two resources outline the benefits of using Learning Management Systems for a class:
- Pappas, Christopher (2016). The Top 8 Benefits of Using Learning Management Systems. eLearning Industry
- Washington, Gloria Y. (2019). The Learning Management System Matters in Face-to-Face Higher Education Courses. Journal of Educational Technology Systems. 48 (2): 255-275. doi.org/10.1177/0047239519874037
Getting help with eLC
eLC users at UGA have multiple avenues of getting help related to eLC. Topics may range from help required to create, configure, and manage content of different types on eLC. Following are sources of eLC related assistance you can access at UGA:
- Help.eLC: This website has been developed to provide you with instructions on an array of help topics in eLC. Use the menu above to navigate your way to what you need. Note also that we often update this content to expand our coverage and keep up with changes and updates to eLC.
- Contact Us: Use our Need More Help page to find your best contact person for eLC support.
- D2L Brightspace Support: Additional help and discussion forums about different settings and tools within eLC can be found on the D2L Brightspace website. This is a great source for exploring how people use D2L Brightspace beyond UGA.
- USG Support: USG provides D2L related support on the level of the university system. Users can register complaints, create tickets, and request help on this website too.