- Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Preparing a Quiz for Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Respondus Quiz Creator
Respondus Lockdown Browser (LDB) is a custom browser that "locks down the testing environment in eLC and allows a quiz to be executed securely by restricting access to certain browser navigation capabilities. LDB replaces other browsers when students are taking a quiz or test in eLC.
Note: LDB must be installed on the computer being used to take the quiz. Students will have to install LDB on their computer for the initial use of the secure browser. See our documentation on student instructions for installing Respondus Lockdown Browser. [Add page and add link].
1. If the settings for a quiz require LDB to be used, the quiz cannot be accessed with a standard browser. If a student attempts to use a standard browser, a warning message will indicate that LDB is required for the execution of the quiz and the Start Quiz! link will not be available.
2. LDB works much like a standard browser, but some options hae been removed or work differently. When students use LDB to access a quiz or test, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL. access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitting for grading. Also quizzes and tests created for use with LDB are restricted from being accessed by other browsers. The benefits of using Respondus LDB are included below:
- Modified Toolbar - The condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh, and Stop functions.
- Assessment Mode - Assessments are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading
- Disabled Controls - All printing, keystroke combinations, screen grabs, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
- Links - Links to other web servers do not compormise the secure texting environment.
- Blocked Features and Applications - The Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed.
After you have created your quiz in eLC, execute the following steps to require a student to use LDB when taking the quiz.
1. First, use a standard browser to login to eLC as an instructor.
2. Select the course that houses the quiz you would like to prepare.
3. From the course navbar, select Tools, and then choose Quizzes.
4. Click the Lockdown Browser tab on the Quizzes navbar.
5. Identify the quiz. From the quiz's dropdown menu, select Modify Settings.
6. Check the Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam. If you don't want to require Lockdown Browser for viewing quiz results and feedback, uncheck that option. You can also add a password to access the exam on this screen.
7. Click Advanced Settings to see more options. In this example, students will be given the ability to use an iPad to take the quiz, so that option will be selected.
8. Once you've completed your configuration, click Save and Close.
9. On the Manage Quizzes screen in eLC, the quiz that you configured will say Requires Respondus Lockdown Browser after the quiz title. This is also visible to students.
10. if you need to modify your Respondus Lockdown Browser settings, click on the Lockdown Browser tab on the Quizzes navbar to return to the Lockdown Browser configuration screen.
Respondus is a tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to eLC.
Faculty and staff can download Response at the EITS Software page. It is located under Download. You will be prompted to log in with your UGA MyID and password, and then you will be provided with installation instructions. Respondus will only work with Windows computers (View system requirements for Respondus.). If you have a Mac, you can log into UGA's vLab and access Respondus on a virtual Windows computer. (You will still need to go to the EITS Software page to obtain the necessary credentials to use Respondus.).
Once you've installed Respondus, the following resources will help you get started:
- Quick Start Guide to Using Respondus (PDF) (PDF)
- Standard Format to Upload Questions to Resondus (PDF) (PDF)
1. To begin the process of using Respondus to publish exams to eLC, first, open Respondus. Then, open your exam file by clicking Open.
2. Select the exam file. Click Open.
3. Select the Preview & Publish tab. Then, click Publish Wizard.
4. On the Publish Wizard Settings screen, choose Publish to a single course. From the Desire2Learn Server dropdown menu, choose add new server.
5. Choose Yes, check for preconfigured server settings. Click Next.
6. Enter a name (e.g., eLC). Select Run connection text, if not already selected by default. Then, click Next to start a connection test.
7. Login to eLC as normal, using ArchPass.
8. If any script errors appear, click Yes to dismiss them. The page will eventually load.
9. After the connection test completes, click Next.
10. Then, click Finish.
11. Once you're connected, you must choose which course you want to publish the exam questions to. The dropdown will list all eLC courses in which you are an instructor.
12. Select a course, and then choose an assessment type.
- If you choose Quiz, you will create a new quiz in your selected eLC course.
- If you choose Question Library Section, the questions will be imported directly into the Question Library for your course. (This option is recommended if you plan to use the questions on multiple assessments or if you want to randomize the question order on your quiz.)
- If you choose Self Assessment, you will create a new self assessment in your selected eLC course. (Self Assessments are providing immediate feedback to students and cannot be graded.)
13. Once you've made your selections, click Next.
14. Respondus will now connect to eLC and import your questions to your course. Once you see the "Completed Successfully message, click Finish to complete the import.