Considerations for Students with Connectivity Barriers
Use of Respondus Monitor requires that students have a working webcam, microphone, and broadband internet. Setting up a non-graded practice exam is the best way to determine whether a student’s device will work with Respondus Monitor.
For individual students who have hardware and connectivity barriers, instructors can prepare alternative testing options. For example:
- Students might instead engage in proctoring with the instructor via a synchronous
Zoom testing session. While Respondus cannot be used on mobile devices, students can
connect to Zoom from their smartphone. To enable this option, instructors should turn
off both Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor for these students’ assessments
by creating Special Access in Quizzes. Briefly, click on the dropdown menu to the right of the quiz for which you need
to provide special access, and choose Edit. Under Edit, select the Restrictions tab, scroll to the Special Access section, and click Add Users to Special Access. Add the desired students to allow special access, and check the box for Lockdown
Browser to select “Not required to take this quiz”:
Students might instead take the test in a large, socially distanced space under supervision. If this lab does not have webcams on the computers, a password can be created to bypass the Respondus Monitor requirement at the time of testing, while maintaining the LockDown Browser requirement. This password may be provided to and entered by a proctor, or the password may be provided directly to students to enter themselves. To use this option, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Respondus Monitor Settings
- Under the Respondus Monitor Settings, select the option for “Either Respondus Monitor or a proctored lab can be used to take this exam”.
- Type in a password of your choosing in the appropriate field.
4. Be sure to “Save and Close” before navigating away from this window. You can access the password anytime by returning to this Respondus Monitor Dashboard. The password can differ from quiz to quiz.
Note About Student Access via Passwords: If you would like to provide this password to students taking the exam remotely, any student who enters the password will be able to access the exam with without Respondus Monitor enabled.
- Students may also be able to use on campus resources to enable their engagement with Respondus Monitor. There are a small number of laptops with webcams available through the UGA Library Tech Loans at the Miller Learning Center. For Fall 2020, Laptops are first come, first served and cannot be reserved in advance. See https://mlc.uga.edu/technology/lending for more information.