Modifying the Course Homepage
The Course Homepage contains the Mini Bar, the Course Navbar, and Course Widgets. The Course Homepage is highly customizable. Users can change the layout of the page, add, delete, and customize widgets, and customize the navbar.
Before making any modifications to course homepage, you must first make a copy of the default template of the homepage and activate it. The editing and customization of a course homepage is done to a copy of the course's default homepage, not the default page itself.
- Creating a Copy of the Default Template of the Homepage
- Modifying the Header of the Course Homepage
- Modifying the Layout of the Course Homepage
- Customizing Widgets
1. To make a copy of the default homepage, first access the homepage management tools by clicking on the ellipsisin the bottom right hand corner of the course homepage then click Manage Homepages.
2. Users may also go to the course navbar and select Course Admin then Homepages, located under Site Setup.
3. You have several choices of layouts that can be copied: the default, a two-column layout, and a three-column layout. Click the arrow next to the desired layout and select Copy.
4. The copy will appear in the list of homepages in blue, indicating that it can be edited. Click on the copy to open it for editing.
5. The course homepage may be given a different name and a description added to it if desired.
By default, the Course Header displays the Course Name, Semester, and Section Number as it appears in the ATHENA record (e.g., BIOL1100 18SP-12345).
1. To change course header, on the Edit Homepage page, check the Include Header checkbox, and then enter the preferred header into the text field. To restore the default header, click the Restore Default Header Text button.
By default, the Two Equal Panels Layout is displayed. This option is recommended for most courses, as it is designed to accommodate users viewing the course on mobile devices.
1. To change the homepage layout from the default, click the Change Layout button, select a new layout from the available options in the pop-up window, and click the Update button.
The boxes containing information and providing links to various tools such as the content browser, the course calendar, and course settings are called widgets. Widgets are the building blocks of a course's homepage and can be customized, moved around the page, or deleted. There are many other widgets available to users that can be added to a course homepage. Widgets can also be created.
1. To add a widget to a course homepage, go to the Course Home, and select the ellipsisin the bottom right corner, and select Edit this Homepage.
2. Select the Add Widgets button in the desired area.
3. In the pop-up window, use the search bar or scroll through the list to find the desired widget(s), check the box next to the widget name(s) to select, and click Add.
4. Click Save and Close to add the Widget to your Course Home.
1. To move a widget to a course homepage, go to the Course Home, and select the ellipsis in the bottom right corner, and select Edit this Homepage.
2. Drag and drop the widget to the desired area.
3. Click Save and Close.
1. To remove a widget to a course homepage, go to the Course Home, and click the ellipsis in the bottom right corner, and select Edit this Homepage.
2. Hover the mouse pointer over the desired widget and click the "X" that appears in the top right hand corner.
3. Click Save and Close.
1. To customize a widget from a course's homepage, go to Course Home, select the Course Adminin the Navbar, then select Homepages.
2. Select the Widgets tab.
3. To preview a widget, select the Preview icon.
4. When finished viewing widget preview, select Close.
5. To customize a widget's settings, select the Customize icon.
6. To change the widget name, select Custom and input a desired title. When finished customizing your widget, click Save.